Astronomy in the Garden – Family Night at Croy Canyon
August 12 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm$10 - $12
Dr. Tim Frazier, our favorite astronomy buff and president of the Magic Valley Astronomical Society, will offer 4 nights of lectures and night sky viewing in 2018.
Participants will start inside at 7:00 pm with a featured lecture (see schedule below). Then, weather permitting, we’ll move outside at 8:00 pm to observe “Oh Wow!” deep sky objects and other celestial wonders. Kristin Fletcher, SBG Education Director, will share lore about constellations visible with the naked eye.
Dress for the weather and bring binoculars or spotting scopes, if you have them! Space is limited to just 20 participants and payment will confirm your spot. Call 208-726-9358 to pay and reserve your space.
Cost (register online here)
- Per evening: $10 Sawtooth Botanical Garden members/ $12 nonmembers; children under 16 – Free.
- For the series: $35 for SBG members/ $43 nonmembers; children under 16 – Free.
- January 23, Tuesday – 7 pm: Finding your way with telescopes, binoculars and spotting scopes. 8 pm: Weather permitting, we’ll enjoy telescope viewing and constellation lore.
- May 22, Tuesday – 7 pm: Shoot the night sky with your camera or cell phone. 8 pm: Weather permitting, we’ll enjoy telescope viewing and constellation lore.
- August 12, Sunday – 7 pm: Family night at Croy Canyon; Perseid meteor shower will be a highlight. In case of bad weather, we’ll relocate to SBG and feature some cool astronomy activities for kids. Weather permitting, we’ll enjoy telescope viewing and constellation lore.
- November 13, Tuesday – 7 pm: The horse, the maiden and the queen – winter constellations. 8 pm: Weather permitting, we’ll enjoy telescope viewing and constellation lore.